CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Pure Comic Genius

It's really my grandparents that caused me to love "Peanuts". They held on to my dad's and uncles' old comic books from the 1950's and whenever we'd go visit them--for lack of anything better to do--I'd read them over and over again. I absolutely love those books. Thank goodness my dad made sure to hang onto them after both my grandparents passed away a few years back. Now they're in his basement and someday they'll be mine.

I have a later reproduction of some of the strips, published in the late 70's. I don't even know where I got it, but I know it must've been kind of recent since it's stamped from a secondhand book store here in town. Anyway, Patrick's really into comic books lately. He suckered Luke's parents into buying him a Pokemon book. At first I resented his attraction to Pokemon, and then I realized that kids that are into Pokemon are usually also into computers and Dungeons and Dragons and techy stuff and less into Nascar and killing hapless woodland creatures for sport in their spare time. So now I see that Pokemon is the lesser of two evils and I am in support of it. But the point is, Patrick is digging comic books, and so I pulled out my one "Peanuts" book for him to look at and have been thumbing through it myself whenever he leaves it lying around for me to pick up. I came across this one and it struck me as too funny not to share, especially in light of the book I'm reading. Lucy would've made a great 21st century chick.