CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Birthday Boy

Well, on Sunday we had The Birthday Party--which has earned its title inasmuch as it will go down in history as one of our better parties. I have to give myself credit here...I took the easiest route I could think of and it turned out GREAT. What more could a mother ask for?

We had the party at school and I raided the gym storage room for all the fun stuff the kids love to play with. I set out the hoola-hoops and yarn balls, blew up balloons for them to smack around (and hopefully not choke on) and made a maze for them to climb through. And then there was the piece de resistance--the scooters. Those kids LOVE the scooters. And we only had two minor injuries--one of which was my child--but it happens, ya know?

Then there was the requisite pizza and cake, most of which was thrown away after the kids made sure to breathe all over their slice, but not actually eat it. They were much more interested in getting back to the games. Eventually I was able to drag them outside for a treasure hunt that I had set up on the playground. I totally underestimated these kids' skills--they found everything in .3 seconds. But that was okay, because after that they just ran around the playground. The weather was gorgeous all weekend--we were so lucky. On March 2nd it can either be snowing or verging on hot, and we were definitely closer to the hot end. We couldn't have planned a better day.

Patrick's VERY FAVORITE present of the day was a total scream. His buddy Lucas' parents are both German and his dad makes frequent trips back to the homeland. Whenever he's there, he picks up a Donald Duck comic book (in German of course) for Lucas to look at. Well, Lucas has been bringing them to school to read during rest time, and Patrick thinks they are the coolest thing ever. Well, Lucas' mom bought Patrick a present and all, but Sunday morning he decided that he wanted to give Patrick one of his Donald Duck books too. So they picked one out and wrapped it up and I wish you could have seen the look on Patrick's face when he opened it. He was so excited, and he hasn't put it down since Sunday. It still warms my heart that Lucas thought to share his books with Patrick--what a sweet kid.

The kids spent the rest of the party running around the playground and enjoying the sunshine, and after everyone left and Luke and I got everything cleaned up, we went back outside to let the kids play more while we sat on the picnic tables to unwind. I was exhausted yesterday, but it was a great party, so it was totally worth it. Now I just have to figure out how to top it next year...