CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I Heart Gardening

I was not going to blog today. I had a lot of free time (!!!!) and it is a beautiful day, so I hit the potting soil. I've been doing this a lot lately. Luke and I have been working on our yard almost every day since the weather got nice, and the results are so well worth it. It was only today, though, that I realized how much I have enjoyed doing it. You know how people say "There's just something about digging in the dirt?" Well, I guess for me, there is. It's just so therapeutic for my weary old battered soul!!!!!

I never enjoyed it before, but I think that was because I was set up for failure at my old house. Planting in disgusting red clay, no shade whatsoever (a new neighborhood--trees were not allowed, you know?), minimal landscaping--this was my starting point. I could never make anything look pretty, or even grow for that matter. But now, since we moved out to the country (well, sort of), I have a beautiful yard...lots of tall shady trees...dark, rich soil...and maybe best of all, a relaxing front porch to sit on and admire my hard work.

I know I am really waxing poetic here, but it's so nice to have a hobby again. For the past three years, my hobby has been my kids--not always by choice--and it feels good to do something for me again. Right now, my favorite kind of gardening is container gardening, because it is so simple and gives instant results. I really like hanging baskets and windowboxes...they are so romantic. Plus, no weeds! I did my windowboxes out back today, but they are not quite finished, and I am working on a rock garden in our side yard. Here's a picture I took this morning of the planters and baskets on my serene front porch...