CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 30, 2007

Blogger Spring Break

This past week was the boys' spring break, and since as of late the blog has been about as exciting as watching the paint dry, I took my "Blogger's Spring Break", and thoroughly enjoyed it too. I filled my time the old-fashioned way--with a book. And not the normal chick-lit fluff I normally clog my brain with...nope this time it was real, gritty literature called The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It's about "Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy through the horrific invasion of the Taliban." The story itself is fiction, but the events are straight from the history books, and it truly is amazing how little I knew about the place. Afghanistan, even in its glory days, was a completely forgotten country until 9/11 essentially put it back on the map. I don't remember learning anything about it in school. The only world history we ever learned was history that had to do with the western world. I guess now Afghanistan and the rest of the Middle East have become part of that and our children will be studying it. Anyway, I had no idea it was such a modern and cultured place before the conflict began over thirty years ago. What it has become and what we see on the news is all I've ever learned about Afghanistan until now. I'd recommend this book to anyone, but I think Mandy would especially like it.

Anyway, on to the real reason you all read my blog--the kiddies. They have had a fun time together the past few days. Over the weekend, we took them to a friend's pond where the fish are practically trained to bite the line. Patrick was all for it until until he saw the first fish that came up--a catfish--and said he wasn't going to have anything to do with fish that had whiskers. He spent the rest of the time running away when ever anyone got a bite. We did finally get him to pose with one of the bigger ones, but that was it.

Tuesday I took them to a petting zoo which was being showcased by my college's agricultural department. Patrick took a special interest in what was under the cow (yes, Katie--a cow and yes, I thought of you when I snapped the picture), but there were also horses, goats, bunnies and lambs. Ben had the most fun scaring the poor goat to death by screeching and rattling its cage. Ever the good blogger, I patiently snapped pictures instead of removing Ben to spare the poor goat's life...

The rest of the time, we've just been hanging around the house playing outside and watching our favorite shows. It really warms my heart to see the boys playing together the way they do now. They seem to really like each other. Now...how do I make it last???

Happy Spring Break Bloggers!