CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Race Day

What could be more exciting than watching a bunch of tricked-out cars drive in a circle 200 times, with nothing whatsoever to distract you from the monotony except a group of redneck commentators that use phrases like "If you're gonna do a gas-n-go..."? How about watching it with a three-year-old? Today is like Christmas in the racing world; it's the Daytona 500, and so I know what sound my TV will be making over and over again for the next four hours: vvvVVVRRROOOOOMMmmm..........
Yes, I'm beyond thrilled.

I was actually unlucky enough (when Luke and I were just engaged and I would still do a lot to impress him) to go to the Daytona 500, and I've never been more inclined in my life to take a gun to my head and end it all right there. My God, the repetitiveness of it all, it's completely maddening!!! I admit, the first lap when they really start driving fast is somewhat exciting, because the engines get really loud and it is really fast, but that gets old about...oh, three laps later. So then you're stuck for 197 more laps watching them go around and around, the same thing over and over...and it's so loud you can't hear yourself think, and you can't talk to anyone because none of them speak actual English, but instead some sub-form of the language--it's actually great preparation for having a preschooler in the house, now that I think about it.